Top 10 Free Marketing Techniques
1. Send a news release or special interest story about your
business to a local newspaper.
2. Write a newspaper or magazine article or column.
3. Be a guest professional on a television or radio show.
4. Present a seminar for consumers or designers.
5. Donate leftovers and “mistakes” to fundraising
6. Make an accessory out of leftover
7. Serve on a community service club or committee.
8. Have your work published in trade magazines.
9. Make sure your hairdresser knows what you do.
10. Network with other workrooms.
Source: Draperies & Window Coverings, July 2002.
Decades ago, marketing expert and educator Jay Conrad Levinson
defined guerrilla marketing as “unconventional ways of pursuing
conventional goals.” For many it has become a method of achieving
higher sales and profits using minimum money.
What works for small businesses around the world works for those
in the window coverings industry as well. No less an expert than
Cheryl Strickland has compiled her own list of favorite marketing
techniques. “Successful marketing doesn’t have to be expensive,”
she writes. “You may besurprised to find out that many terrific
marketing opportunities exist that not only are free, but sometimes
actually earn you money for doing it!”
This month’s List features Strickland’s Top 10 Techniques.
Most of them help a small window coverings dealer or workroom establish
him- or herself as the local expert on serving customers’ needs.
Our favorite is: Make sure your hairdresser knows what you do. “Word-of-mouth
is always the best marketing tool. Everyone wants to use a company
that their friends have used or have heard good things about,”